- You must attend or read the compulsory race briefing for your race. Briefings will be posted on the website and sent out by email prior to race day. There will also be a race day briefing immediately prior to start that will include current weather and trail conditions.
- You must adhere to the volunteers and marshals instructions at all times.
- Only registered riders are able take part in the event.
- Competing under someone else's name is not permitted, and results in disqualification from the race of both competitors. Both parties will be ineligible for any merit or spot prizes and risk being banned from entering any future Motatapu events.
- Your race number must be clearly visible and attached to the front of your shirt or bike.
- Mandatory Gear must be carried at all times. Any athlete found not to be carrying their mandatory gear will be either not permitted to start, given a time penalty or disqualified. This is at the sole discretion of the Race Director.
- The Race Director reserves the right to withdraw any competitor they feel is in distress and would not be capable of completing the event at any stage.
- You must keep to the trail.
- iPods/headphones are highly discouraged as there may be emergency 4WD vehicles moving through the course. If headphones are worn, ensure that the volume is set at a level whereas surrounding sound can be heard.
- Cut off times have been put in place to ensure the safety of all and to ensure that everyone completes the event well before dark. If you don't reach the cut off points on the course by the required time or you are deemed unfit to continue the race by event staff, you will not be allowed to continue with the race and will be driven off course by our crew.
- Each race has a specific finish line cut off time. You must reach the finish line by this time or officials will remove you from the course.
- Access to these privately-owned stations is only permitted on race day so please respect all private property both before and during the event. Competitors must not take photographs of buildings and homesteads and must not harm, approach or interfere with any stock. Breaching these terms puts the Motatapu event in jeopardy.
- TAKE OUT ALL YOUR RUBBISH! If seen littering you will be disqualified, plus you are putting the future of the race in jeopardy. Leave only footprints.
- Staff and medical vehicles will be moving through the course during the race. Please be respectful of this and move out of the way as quickly as possible. Normal road rules apply throughout, please move to the left and let faster traffic pass on the right. Be courteous to all participants.
- About 500m from the finish line you will need to cross through a Didymo wash station. You must bike/run through the wash station. This has been requested and approved by Bio Security NZ. "Didymo growths can adversely affect freshwater fish, plant and invertebrate species by reducing the number of suitable habitats. It can form large, thick mats on the bottom of streams, rivers and occasionally on lake edges where there is a wave action. It has no human health risk" - Bio Security New Zealand
Mountain Bike Team Event specific race rules:
- Start time will be calculated when the second team member crosses the start line.
- Finish time will be calculated when the second (last) team member crosses the finish line.
- Riders must ride with their team partner at all times and must remain within the maximum allowable separation time, namely 2 minutes.
- Rider separation may be measured anytime on course or at the finish line and a penalty will be applied if the separation is greater than 2 minutes.
- Teams must wear the same cycle jersey
No towing devices are permitted (bungee’s or other) – but you can push/pull your teammate with your hand, assist each other across the river crossings.
- Teams can share compulsory bike mechanical kit but must each carry compulsory clothing for themselves
- Riders should not “double back” on the route in order to re-join his/her teammate and instead wait on the side of the course for their teammate to re-join. In cases of rider injury or mechanical failure necessitating “doubling back” the rider will do so with extreme caution keeping to the left of the track.
- If your team mate needs to pull out due to injury, you may continue to ride the remaining stages on your own. However, you will not be eligible for prizes.
E- Bike Standards:
- We recommend that you check with your dealer direct on suitability. The bikes will have to make their way through ~10 small creek crossings and 11 crossings of the Arrow River that is roughly mid shin in depth. They will get wet. For our recce we used a Moustache Samedi Trail with a Bosch motor. It is very important that the bike used has a mid-mount motor with a pedal assist system and a minimum 500 w/h battery.
- Pedal assisted off-road E Bikes only
- Batteries must hold sufficient charge for a minimum of 47km
- E Bikes must pass a standard Motatapu bike check
- E Bikers must have intermediate mountain bike skills
- Note that the E Bike category is not intended as a race
E-Bike Battery Shipment:
- If traveling by air or utilising air freight shipment contact your airline for battery specific transport policies.